Wednesday, May 31, 2006

A Really Good "Romance" Flick

It could be that I just really enjoy Natalie Portman in a stripper outfit, but hot damn, "Closer" is a great movie that I HIGHLY recommend. If you have HBO On Demand, it's there, although I'm not sure when it runs out.
What did I like about the movie? The dialogue involving Jude Law was great and Clive Owen's lines are like brutal stabs in the face of the typical "chick flick." Really, the movie is as slick as Ocean's Eleven although it's not trying as hard. It's about 4 people and how they all influence each other's lives and run into each other within a certain period of time, etc.

The movie kind of reminded me of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind only less predictable and with much cooler dialogue. Oh, and Natalie Portman being the hottest I've ever seen her doesn't hurt.

My 4 year undergraduate Collegiate career is over.

Not that it deserves to be under a random movie review. It feels strange to be "done." Everybody knows the cliches, the douchebags who say "Welcome to the Real World," "9-5, 24/7," and "Yea, college years are your best ones, enjoy it while it lasts," etc. etc. etc.

Being in the period in time that is post-undergraduate college, I feel like I have to prove the cookie-cutter John Doe 9-5er stigma wrong. It partly the reason I didn't major in Accounting or Finance. I didn't want to be stuck in a rat race leading a miserable existence. That's my personal stigma, and I could easily be wrong, but such is life.

I didn't say goodbye to everyone that I would have liked to. I hate to sound depressing, but it really feels like a tornado that is unraveling everything really quickly and unexpectedly. It's self explanatory that everything comes to an end and in the case of a semester you can actually set the date and nearly the time, but it isn't real until it actually knocks you in the balls. And right now my proverbial balls are sore.

The toughest part of all this is that all my life I've known what to expect. Summer is laughable job followed by a school year. Lather, Rinse, Repeat. Lather, Rinse, Repeat. Lather, Rinse, WAIT WHAT THE FUCK WHO TURNED THE WATER OFF?

I'm trying to make this blog more "viral" with people who comment with enlightening individual comments. Are you a recent graduate who still finds the time to hang out, drink beer, play videogames and enjoy life as much as before you started work? If so, make yourself heard, share your story. I'll read it at least.

P.S. - I didn't attend my graduation. Instead I went to Newport, RI to spend a quality weekend with friends I hadn't seen in about a year. We had a rocking great time and it feels great to meet and hang out with characters you normally wouldn't. My biggest regret was that my parents didn't see me walk and get pictures taken of me wearing a ridiculous looking hat and a black gown.
Some people feel very strongly about the choice I made. Apparently this act of dressing up and walking and taking pictures in a field with similarly stupid looking friends and classmates is very holy and it is the prize of 4 years of tuition, of blood and sweat and tears.

Call me a hippie, but I just struggle to see it that way. If you didn't watch movies and TV, the commencement idea would seem pretty silly. Just because it's the final episode of all your favorite teen television shows doesn't validate its existence.

I graduated and I have funny stories and $100 textbooks to show for it. I also ideally have some knowledge in the marketing field and a bunch of friends and acquaintances that I wouldn't otherwise have. That is my commencement.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home