Monday, May 15, 2006

"Support Our Troops"

OK - don' t expect a crazy far left hippie rant, because that's not what this is. It's not a right winged ignorant one either. Here's what I'd like to say: I do not understand why people put magnets on their cars that read "support our troops." First of all, it implies that those that don't own the magnets must not support American troops. Secondly, why do citizens feel that they need to advertise their "support" of troops, does it make any difference in national morale? Is the bright yellow magnet serving a societal need or a personal, egoistic one instead?

I logically hate that young americans are dying overseas. There are too many factors involved to come to a firm decision like this war is good or this war is bad, and you'll get a plethora of political opinions on the topic that end up in nothing but two monkeys throwing poo at eachother. I just wanted to say that support of people risking their lives should be implied, it shouldn't be some commercial good to profit some guys company that's probably outsourcing production of the magnets to China or something.

Which brings me to the film: United 93.
I haven't seen it and I don't want to see it. I don't care that it's received good reviews. The actual events were so dramatic and horrifying that seeing a made-for-movies reenaction doesn't interest me.

I apologize that this post isn't very funny. But I saw a group in facebook that a friend of mine was in, and the name of the group was "Support Our Troops." Does this mean that the kids not in the group therefore don't support our troops? It's just stupid, and the support of soldiers should be inherent. If you're going to join a group like this looking for public awareness then choose something like the hunger in Africa or the plight of people in New Orleans, or something that isn't so saturated in the media and so prevalent on, for example, the bumper stickers on big Ford SUVs. I'd like to hear some opinions on this, even though people don't seem to like to respond. I hope this war can end soon and instead of buying yellow magnets people can buy welcome home banners and vacation airline tickets.

1 Comments:

Blogger greendroppings said...

I want to quickly point out that I realize that people show their support in different ways, and show their pride in the country in different ways - and there's nothing wrong with that. But must it be a material good that shows your support? And how many people who support by buying flags and magnets are supporting in other non-material good ways?

How does this argument translate to people who hang American Flags? I want to make clear that I am merely bringing up a point of discussion (flags, magnets) and am open to any opinions.

9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home